THE SONG OF ACHILLES - REVIEW



It's Monday...and I'm here, as I promised!

I said I already had a topic in mind and I wasn't lying, but I'm not going to talk about what I was thinking. Instead, I'm gonna talk, or, well, write, about a book I read two weeks ago or so and I really really loved it.

So...review time!



The book is called 'The Song of Achilles' and it's written by Madeline Miller

It tells the story of a love affair between Achilles and Patroclus and it's set in Greece, duh. If you hate mythology or find it extremely boring, then I guess this book is not for you. I mean, it's not like every single mythology book I've read, going all about war things back in those times or simply talking about Greece and its habitants. As I said, it's about Achilles and Patroclus as individuals and as a team; an unit; a couple. 

For all of you who don't know anything about this topic, I'm gonna make a little summary for you:

  • Achilles was a Greek hero of the Trojan war and the main character of Homer's Iliad. I can't say no more because maybe when you're finished with this entry, you wanna read the book and I don't wanna make spoilers, so...
  • Patroclus was a Greek not-so-lucky-guy, I guess you could say. He did something before the Trojan war, and as a consequence of that something, he was sent somewhere. I know I'm not helping right now, but that's all I can tell.

Even when books and Greek/Latin teachers sold us the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus as a really wonderful friendship, the idea of them being lovers is quite old and is always been there. A lot of Greco-Roman authors read it as a romantic one, it was a common interpretation and it's kind of known. Also, from what I know, there is a fragment from a lost tragedy where Achilles speaks of his and Patroclus "frequent kisses", so...either they had an incredibly tight friendship or they were in love with each other.

I should have read the Iliad when I was in highschool and I didn't (because who the hell actually have time to read a huge book like that when you've got a bunch of exams...not me), but I've got a lot of information about this since I read the book and even though Homer never makes it explicit, there is a lot of support for their relationship in the Iliad. 

That being said, let's get more into it.




Madeline Miller said that she wanted to explore who Patroclus was and what he meant to Achilles, and oh boy, she did it. She did it so well.

Look, I used to love mythology until I started studying it in highschool. As always, that place took all the interest out of me and I kinda hated it? Like, I knew that I still loved it, but at the same time, I was so stressed out and bored of that subject that since I finished highschool, I've wanted nothing to do with it. 

Then, three weeks ago I see a post with the quote you can see in the picture and I'm like "where is this from? Is this from a book? I need to read it". So, I look for it, this book pops up and I don't want to read it. It took me a whole week to stop being dumb and read it, just because of how much I disliked mythology since highschool. I'm telling you, dumb. Thanks god I read it.

What I'm trying to say with that, is that I want you to at least consider reading this book because you won't regret it, I promise. If at the end, you do regret it...I'm sorry? 





Some quotes so you can love it already:

"Achilles was looking at me. "Your hair never quite lies flat here". He touched my head, just behind my ear. "I don't think I've ever told you how I like it."


My scalp prickled where his fingers had been. "You haven't." I said.


"I should have." His hand drifted down the vee at the base of my throat, drew softly across the pulse. "What about this? Have I told you what I think of this, just here?"


"No." I said.


"This surely, then." His hand moved across the muscles of my chest; my skin warmed beneath it. "Have I told you of this?"


"That you have told me." My breath caught a little as I spoke.


"And what of this?" His hand lingered over my hips, drew down the line of my thigh. "Have I spoken of it?"


"You have."


"And this? Surely, I would not have forgotten this." His cat's smile. "Tell me I did not."


"You did not."


"There is this, too." His hand was ceaseless now. "I know I have told you of this."


I closed my eyes. "Tell me again." I said."

You can feel the sexual tension and the passion just reading these lines and that's so freaking amazing. It's so well written, that you can actually believe the story. 
I don't really like the first person, but I couldn't stop reading.

"I could recognize him by touch alone, by smell; I would know him blind, by the way his breaths came and his feet struck the earth. I would know him in death, at the end of the world."

This is torture. I don't even know how to describe it, you don't need to read the novel to know that they truly love each other and to feel the pain. 

"Later, we lay on the riverbank, learning the lines of each other's body's anew. This, and this and this. We were like gods at the dawning of the world, and our joy was so bright we could see nothing but the other."

This one might be my favourite quote. All I wanna do is cry.



Enough with the quotes because I'm in too much pain.

If I still haven't convinced you to read it, you've got to admit that it is so beautifully written...that's probably what captivated me. They way the author uses her words to describe their love, how it feels like poetry or music, simple but fascinating. It's just lovely.

If I did convince you, here's the link to the pdf download. You can also buy it, but I figured you wouldn't spend money in something you don't know you're gonna like for sure. Or you could be broke too, which was my case.

I even made a playlist for it (it's not an actual playlist because there are just eight songs, but still). I'm a sucker for music and I couldn't miss the opportunity, okay? Listen.

Have a nice week!!!

PS: I take way too many pictures and I wasn't comfortable with the idea of uploading them to my instagram, so I created a flickr account that I'll be using soon. Link on the right column!! 


Follow

CONVERSATION

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment

Back
to top