MADE IN THE A.M - REVIEW



Hiiiiiiii, beautiful human beings.

It's finally Monday (not that I was eager, I hate Mondays) and after a weekend full of new music, I bring a review for you all. You probably know since the title is the name of the album, but...yeah, I'm gonna review One Direction's new album. YAYYY.

Let's be honest; I never thought this day would come.
Why? Well, here's my "story" with One Direction. I've explained it a million times but I guess I can do it one more just for those of you who don't know.

I've been a fan for 5 years, their whole career, actually.
I saw them on the x-factor and I was like "holy crap, that one is so cute and funny!!!! WHO ARE THEY". Yes, ladies and gentleman...I kinda fell in love with Louis that day and since then I've been trapped here. I didn't even like their music, maybe one or two songs out of twelve; that's why I said that I never thought I'd write something like this.

Overall, this is the number of songs I liked from every album (deluxe editions):

Up All Night: 4/15
Take Me Home: 7/17
Midnight Memories: 8/18
FOUR: 10/16

Believe me when I say that I was extremely impressed with FOUR. I liked most of the songs which as you can see had never happened before; so when I start listening to MITAM and realise that I love every single song...I'm simply proud.

Listen, people can say whatever they want about you liking One Direction. Yes, I'm 20 years old and my favourite band is blink-182, but I listen to 1D and I fucking love it. I don't care if some assholes laugh at me because of that, there's nothing wrong on listening to music/being a fan of something that makes you happy.

That being said, let's go back to the topic.
I'd say I love maybe 9 songs of the album (deluxe songs included), really like 5 songs, like 2 songs and meh 1 song. There's only one song that I skip every time I listen to the album. One. Actually, I'm lying, I skipped the songs we've been hearing these past few weeks and listen to the "new" ones all the time but you get my point.

So...yeah, I'm really fucking proud of them for making their best album yet.
And now it's time for the actual review. Please keep in mind that music is open for interpretation and I'm going to write what these songs make me feel/what I think they mean; maybe what I feel is the complete opposite of what you feel while listening to certain songs, soooooo. Here we go!




1. Hey Angel

This is definitely one of my favourite songs of the album.
Since Harry started tweeting part of the lyrics, I think we all assumed this song would be a really slow emotional song, so I guess we can safely say that when we first heard it we were kinda taken back. Not in a bad way, at least not for me.

I instantly felt like the first time I listened to "Bitter Sweet Symphony" by The Verve. I find these two pretty similar when it comes to the melody, and they both take me to this place up in the sky where I can just see the whole world and smile to how small people look from there.

Lyrically speaking, it is an emotional song.
I don't know what other people think of it, but to me, this is a song to all our loved ones that are not with us anymore. Every word screams "hey you up there, I know you see me doing all this weird stuff and lingering to things that are not important" to me. It's lovely.

And their vocals are really good here, mostly Harry's. Would love to hear this one live in a stadium.

Also, I think this could be to Harry's grandma, but that's an opinion.

Favourite line: "Hey Angel, tell me, do you ever try to come to the other side?"

2. Drag Me Down

We've listened to this song more times that we can probably recall.
I remember the day they dropped the damn song, I literally spent days listening to this shit on repeat and I still don't know why. I mean, yeah, it's good, but when you stop for a minute and consider the rest of the songs...is it actually that good? The answer is no.

But that's not the point, I still enjoy this song and feel like it was the beggining of this new era. Gives me some The Police vibes (I'm going to make tons of "comparisons" because I think this album has a few influences here and there) and it's effortlessly stylish.

Lyrical and vocally speaking, it's average.
Not too little, not too much. Even though I need a round of applause for Harry's doOOOOOooooOOOoown's at the end of the song. Wow.

Favourite line: "I got a river for a soul, and baby you're a boat"

3. Perfect

Okay, I've got a problem with this one.

I really liked it when I first heard it, but then I listened to it again and...it's a meh from me. I mean it's a very very very catchy song, but I'm not into it.

The lyrics is too ambiguous, too vague; makes it pretty easy for others to think that is about Taylor Swift as well as Larry, so it fits both narratives and I just don't like that. I don't know, as I said, personal opinion.

It also has a lot of polished-up production and I don't think any of their voices need that. They have potential with their voices without any need of auto-tune or whatever those things are called. But yeah, I don't hate it or anything like that, I simply think it's not their best.

The video is quite pretty though, loved the visuals.

Favourite line: "If you like midnight driving with the windows down, if you like going places we can't even pronounce"

4. Infinity

This one also gave me mixed feelings but right now I think it made the opposite of Perfect. I didn't like it that much at first, but now I'm liking it a lot? It's a truly nice ballad perfect for arenas full of people. I tend to imagine myself in the middle of a crowd and everything is dark but the lights of the stage, and then they're there singing this song. Beautiful image, that one.

Pretty is the best word I can think of to describe the lyrics, I didn't notice at first but it's indeed pretty. Their voices are good, but not the best if we compare them to how they sound in other songs.

Favourite line: "How many nights does it take to count the stars?"

5. End of the Day

Let's go back to a word I wrote when I was introducing this entry: interpretation. I'm just reminding that term because I know most people aren't going to agree with me on this one and I feel like it's a good reminder.

Okay, so, first at all: the melody...I simply love it. I'm not really sure why because it's not out of this world but I do. And the part where Harry sings "just me, her and the moon"...I'm in love. There's something about that line that feels like magic.

About the lyrics, here are my thoughts: I think this is a queer song about two girls being in love and not being able to be 100% together because of this fucked up world.

Listen, I know they're boys and that makes most people think they sing about girls, but songs are not always literal. You can literally write about poo and make it sound like you're singing about the love of your life. And to me this song sounds like a love story starred by two young girls that love each other very much a lot.

"The priest thinks is the devil, my mum thinks is the flu" is probably the most obvious line ever.

Is it even necessary to say that Louis' solo killed me? Nah, I don't think so. But it did.

Favourite line: "All I know at the end of the day is you love who you love, there ain't no other way"

6. If I Could Fly

...you're not ready for this. I'm not ready for this, nobody is ready for this.

This song is the reason why angels cry at night and fairies use their magic dust and your heart is beating right now. I feel like I'm in love every time I listen to it and I've never been in love, that's how powerful it is.

Yes, as you can tell this one is my favourite.
I'm a sucker for slow songs, I'm not going to deny it, but when said songs are so emotionally charged and have such beautiful lyrics...I'm just dead.

Let's start with the fact that is a piano-led song.
That fact makes you automatically love the song because who doesn't like pianos? Exactly, everybody does. But then you start listening to their voices and you're like "holy shit, those harmonies are glorious" and your eyes start to water. And when you finally get your shit together and listen to the lyrics...you're gone. You're completely utterly gone.

Every single line is so achingly beautiful.
There's no way to describe the level of intimacy I feel while listening to it. It's like I shouldn't be doing that because it's not my love story and I'm observing these two fucking soulmates who are pretty much in love singing to each other. What the hell. Give me a rest, Harry.

This song is half of a relationship telling the other how gone they are for them. It's as simple as that. But the words make your heart ache and your tears fall down like the Niagara falls. The thing with it is that it's not like any other love song, there are million songs about love and what it's like or how it should make you feel, blah blah blah.

But this one is about opening yourself to this other person, trusting them with your whole soul and giving them everything because they are everything to you. How fucking beautiful is that?!?!?!?

I'm sorry but I need to quote this: "I can feel your heart inside of mine". Wow, thank you. R U  D E.

I could probably spend hours writing about it but there are eleven more songs to go and I should get to them, but I'd love to congratulate Harry on this stunning song and cry. Yeah, it'd be lovely to show him my tears so he'd know his love is the thing making me suffer.

One last thing: did I mention those vocals? SO BEAUTIFUL AND SOFT. ALL OF THEM. And the last part when each of them sing one line...I'm fucked.

Favourite line: "I've got scars, even though they can't always be seen"

7. Long Way Down


Don't tell me this one doesn't remind you of Oasis's "Don't Look Back In Anger"...those first guitar chords, yasssss.


Anyway, this song makes me feel bittersweet. It doesn't give me the sad dramatic vibe that I've read some people say it gives them, but every time I listen to it, I get this tiny pinch on my stomach. I see the lyrics meaning some sort of acceptance that things are going to change and everything was there but it isn't anymore and maybe there's no room for lamentation, just acceptance. I guess you could say it's a melancholic song, it leaves you with this gloomy feeling that you can't get rid of.

Favourite line: "Built a cathedral, but we never prayed"

8. Never Enough

This song is so damn catchy and fun, everything about it makes me feel carefree and crazy.

We're going to start with a reference: I know I might look like a 'music nerd' right now but it is what it is; "Hooked On A Feeling" by Blue Swede. Both of them have the weird noises and the "naughty" lyrics.

What I like the most about this song is that it's full of different sounds and gutsy grunts and basically weird stuff I'm pretty sure didn't look that good in paper but somehow it all came together as a great song. It's not one of my favourites but honestly? I can't help but dance whenever I listen to it, and I adore that in a song.

Also...can I mention two things?

1. What seems to be Liam at 3:05 going all crazy and doing that "scream" ?!?! Love it.
2. How is Louis able to sound like sex with his solo? Explain how. He literally sounds like it, his voice personifies the song's topic.

Favourite line: "Lips so good I forget my name, I swear I could give you everything"

9. Olivia

Oh god...another favourite; I'm sorry because I get a little bit too excited with my favourite ones.

Where should I start? I love every bit of this song, I get SO happy whenever I listen to it...it's ridiculous.

To me, this song kinda reminds me of The Beatles in a way, but let's be honest, the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard it was a movie: Willy Wonka. All I could see in my mind that first time were a hundred oompa loompas dancing. I'm not kidding, that was it. And if you haven't thought about it, you're lying. Sorry, but you are.

Anyway, moving on to the lyrics.
Here's what I love so much about this song; I think a lot of people see it as a love song to this girl called Olivia, whoever that is. And well, that's really lovely, I like it, but I don't think it is about a person at all, I think it's about a feeling.

As I already mentioned, songs don't have to always be literal; sometimes every word means what it says or what looks like a concept is actually that concept. But other times, you can take an emotion and personify it, and that's what this song did. Or at least that's what I believe it did.

I've read a few things Harry said about it and also heard him literally say that "it doesn't have to be about a person, Olivia could be a time or a place". I'm actually gonna leave you a quote of his that I particulary liked:

Love songs can be about a time or a place and you kind of personify it and stick a name on it and then everyone thinks it's about a certain person but I don't think it's always so black and white. You can write from an observation point of view and you can write a great love song about two people you're not.

He's gone so out of his way to let it be clear that Olivia doesn't have to be about a person that I just had to look a little more into it and to me, it means 'love'. If you change every "Olivia" of the song for "I love you", it still makes complete sense.

Maybe it's got nothing to do with that, but yeah.
I think it's a really cool thing to explore and the fact that it could be "love" personified...like literally taking a feeling and making it a song ?!?!?! That's the coolest thing ever.

Apart from that, it's one of my favourites because it's so different from what we've heard of them over the past five years...it feels like old stuff and that's the kind of music I love, so. Also, you can tell how much fun they had recording this song and that's always a positive aspect.

Favourite line: "The summertime, and butterflies, all belong to your creation"

10. What a Feeling

I adoooooore this song, it's a TUNE.

Honestly, it's the typical song you play to someone and when they ask you who sings it, you reply "One Direction" with the biggest smirk ever because you know they won't believe you. It takes me straight back to the 70's/80's while still managing to keep a current vibe, which, p e r f e c t.

I get the greatest feeling when I listen to it, it has a slinky groove and their vocals are amazing. The Fleetwood Mac vibe helps too, not gonna lie.

I don't even know what else to say about it because all I can think is "I love it" and I don't wanna be repetitive. Oh, I don't know if any of you watch 'American Horror Story', but if you do, you know that flashback where you can see Lady Gaga dressed all simple but classy/glamorous and she's like "the disco queen" or something like that? That's how I feel when I listen to this song. I'm the fucking disco queen, dancing with my eyes closed and enjoying the feeling.

Even if this song is not your cup of tea, it's still delicious tea.

Favourite line: "What a feeling to be a king beside you somehow"

11. Love You Goodbye

Another favourite, yayyyyy.

The thing about this song is that a lot of people seem to think that it is a sad break-up song? but, like, it's literally about having sex one last time before letting go of that person. So yeah, I guess it is a break-up song but not in a heartbreaking way. Even though I gotta admit that it makes me feel like somebody just trampled my heart without looking twice. I don't know, it gives me that melancholic feeling even when I'm aware that they're singing about sex. They managed to make that happen and I love it.

It's a gorgeous song that'd sound amazing live, it's a shame they won't tour this album anytime soon.

Last but not least: Louis' high note.
?!?!??!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's me every time I listen to that high note. I'm just so glad he's finally showing off his voice and he really owns this album. It's incredible.

Favourite line: "If tomorrow you won't be mine, won't you give it to me one last time?"

12. I Want to Write You a Song

Keeping up with my favourites!

Okay, quick mention to the background scribbling because that's really cute.

And now, right into it: I freaking love this song.
The whole thing is so so so so and a million times "so" lovely. It's just extremely sweet and nice and adorable. Every single synonym of these words, that's this song.

It genuinely makes me feel loved, you know?
It's like, I start listening to the chords and I'm automatically smiling; then I listen to the lyrics and I get this warm feeling in my chest that fills it with love and adoration.

Personally, as a writer (in case you didn't know, there's nothing in the world that I love more than writing), it makes me feel like it's summer and it's sunny outside and I get to write my favourite traits about someone, or how a place takes me to my childhood. It makes me feel safe and protected and I simply love it. This is a special song, my friends.

I could literally quote the whole song because every line is a YES.

Favourite line: "I wanna build you a boat, one as strong as you are free"

13. History

Gahhhh, this lovely piece, it's time to clap along!

They've said a few times that this song is about the fans and the band relationship with us. The first time I listened to it I thought it was more like an "inside" song, an ot4 song. I've been thinking about it and I've come to the conclusion that for me, it is a mix.

No one can convince me that the first verses aren't talking about all that happened with Zayn/the band in general:

You gotta help me, I'm losing my mind, keep getting the feeling you wanna leave this all behind. Thought we were going strong, I thought we were holding on, aren't we?
No they don't they you this in school, now my heart is breaking and I don't know what to do. Thought we were going strong, I thought we were holding on, aren't we?

But yeah, if you keep listening this is definitely a message to the fans; a powerful one if I'm honest. Seems like a huge thank you to me, like, you know, we've been through all the good and bad stuff together and we're still strong and IT'S NOT THE END. It feels like this is their promise that we've come this far, all of us, and it's not over yet.

This song takes me to a campfire where I'm with my friends singing along and being aware of how important we are to each other and how nobody can break our bond. It's nice.
Reminds me of Toy Story too.

Favourite line: "So don't let it go, we can make some more, we can live forever"

14. Temporary Fix

If "Sex on Fire" by Kings Of Lion and "Someday" by The Strokes could have a baby, this song would be that precious baby.

I'm a huge fan of No Control, and this one feels like the second part of that one: sexy with a little bit of dirt. I honestly love the lyrics because they're fun and not serious, and musically speaking it's probably one of my favourites. That sound is great.

Whenever I listen to it, I get this urge of dancing all around my house only wearing my underwear and shaking my cute ass and letting my hair get messy. I love that sensation.

I'd like to point out the part where Louis sings "let me touch you where your heart is", because I thought he was saying "let me touch you where you're HARDEST" and I got excited. Then I read the lyrics...but I still think it was on purpose, Louis' accent is funny.

Favourite line: "The night is on your lips and I feel like I'm locked in"

15. Walking In The Wind

This is Zayn's song, this is it.

In my opinion, they didn't end on good terms and I don't think they're even friends anymore, which makes me really sad because I loved their friendship. I obviously don't know the truth and I never will, but judging from their body language and their words, that's my conclusion.

The thing is that I believe this song is like a goodbye song to him? Or maybe kinda like their letter saying that they miss him, they had some good times, but they'll be alright and who knows what could happen in the future.

Louis' solo breaks my heart into pieces because it reminds me of the first days after Zayn left and how they always had a space for him. It's hard.

I also think it could be about Harry's grandma or any other person they have lost in that sense. Some verses suggest that, but who knows.

At the same time it feels like one of those sunny fall days you spend walking around, going nowhere, feeling the sun in your face and everything is orange and dreamy and LIGHT. I really like it.

Favourite line: "You'll find me in the region of the summer stars"

16. Wolves

From the way Liam described it (can't remember the exact words right now but it's on tumblr somewhere), I thought I was going to hate this song. Turns out I was definitely wrong.

The lyrics are not the best, pretty average stuff but I really like the sound. Really really like it.
There are a lot of vocals that sound like howling, amazing detail, it's cool. It's upbeat and the melody is interesting too.

I personally love the chorus, that part is probably my favourite. A+ to Harry's voice.

Favourite line: "Your fire is burning deep in my soul"

17. A.M

This song is my baby and I freaking love it.

It's without any doubt, the perfect way to end this album and start their break.
It feels so sincere and friendly, I love it way too much.

When you first discover One Direction, their chemistry is what makes you stay. You might like or not like their music, you might like or not like their looks, but the bond they share is what makes you watch every single video of them out there, spend hours learning about them and simply hearing them joke with each other. This band's relationship is unique and that's what drawns people to it.

That being said, I think this song is the best demostration of that.
It's just Harry, Niall, Liam and Louis being friends and singing about it; or at least that how it feels to me.

I don't have a lot to say about this one, it has such a wonderful meaning to me that I don't know if I'll be able to properly describe it. All I have to say is that I love this band.

Favourite line: "Don't want to sleep 'cause we're dreaming out loud"



In conclusion: I think this album is not just a surprise when it comes to the music, but also the lyrics. You can find some REALLY good songs there. Give it up for writing skills, boys! Congrats.

I'd say Made in the A.M is the description of nostalgic made album. That's it, the whole thing makes you feel sentimental over and over and it's awesome. I'm really proud of them and they should be too. I hope I can tell them one day.



That's a wrap!
I know it's quite long but once I start talking about music, I can't stop.

Have a nice week!!!


PS: Yes, the picture is something I made with photoshop. I'm sorry for destroying Harry's tattoo, I really am. And Niall's hands.
It's supposed to be the album cover but I made it a little bit different, more suitable to my style.


Follow

CONVERSATION

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment

Back
to top