TWENTY ONE PILOTS


Oh my my...I can't believe I'm actually posting this.
I'm a lazy fuck, y'all know that, and I've been trying to update this blog for a few weeks now, but something's always on the way.

But hey, it's Monday and I'm here more than ready to share my love for one of my current favourite bands; twenty one pilots.


For those of you who don't know who the hell they are (...are you guys living under a rock?), tøp is a musical duo from Columbus, Ohio formed in 2009 and whose members are Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun

I cannot really tell you what genre they are because I've been trying to explain it since I first discovered them and I just...don't know. I guess it's a mix? Like, alternative hip hop plus indie pop plus electropop...maybe? Give them a go, I'm no help here.

[Note: even if you don't plan on listening to their music, look those guys up, they're hilarious.]

So, why did I decide to write about them?
Well, mostly because I was freaking out with my friends late last night talking about how they might be coming to Spain this year (the joke is on us, they are not coming) and I got all the feels. I needed to do something about it, and seeing how abandoned I had this blog...I thought it was the perfect opportunity.

I know this entry is going to be a mess, I know I'm not going to say as much as I want to say because I won't find the words, but I'll do my best. Here we go!


As you can tell, it's really hard to specify the genre they belong to, and let's be honest, when you read that mix it doesn't sound good, right? Well, forget about it. Don't think about that weird definition I tried to make, listen to them and then get back to me.

I spent weeks putting off the day I finally saw a video because of the stuff I had read saying that their music was "hip hop but not hip hop" or "pop...but not really". I thought I wouldn't like them so I showed no interest. How ironic is that they're one of my faves now? So yeah, don't be like me and enjoy life.

Anyway, the thing that made me go WOW was their stage presence.
The first thing I saw was two guys with some weird masks and I was like 'what the f...', I was genuinely confused. Not that there's anything wrong about singing with a mask on, but I wasn't expecting it.

And then everything collapsed. Okay, that's quite dramatic but I could literally feel my brain going BOOM while I watched the full set of these two at a festival. They've got so much energy, so much passion...it's incredible to see.

Recommendationwatch this if you want, you won't regret it one bit.

I've tweeted about this a million times, but there's nothing I enjoy more than seeing someone doing what they love. I gain so much energy and happiness when I see someone talking about their passion or simply about how they ate their favourite food the other day. I just love it when people are having a good time/feeling themselves, and I can do that every single time I see tøp on stage.

I can feel the emotion when Josh is banging the drums; I can feel it when Tyler is playing the piano; I can feel it when they both are jumping around; when the public is vibrating with every note; when they scream and I can see myself screaming too.

I can picture myself going to a twenty one pilots concert every night for the rest of my life and I can assure you that I would never get tired or bored. Literally every night. The same people, the same songs. Crazy, right?

But they've got this special...something, and I might listen to the same song a hundred times, but the feeling I get is not always identical. Actually, I get so many different emotions and messages and thoughts whenever I listen to one of their songs. 

And that's because they are really fucking good artists.
Their songs are so deep, even the ones that make you think you know what they mean after one single listen. You don't have a clue, they all have hidden meaning and deeper words and different points of view. And I freaking love that.

I love how I can share my thoughts on one song with a friend and said friend loves the song as much as I do but the message they got is the opposite of mine. That's so so so cool! I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

That makes me think of their lyrics...oh universe.
I don't wanna write a new bible so I'm going to try and control my fingers right now because I could make this entry the longest entry ever solely writing about the lyrics of their songs.

Since I'm a drama queen, I'm allowed to be as dramatic as I want and I want to announce something: some of those lyrics make me feel like my soul is leaving my body and also like someone is inside my mind taking every word that passes through it and creating a song with all of me

I'm being serious, sometimes I'm listening to their songs and it's literally like I wrote them (if I had that gift, of course). And it's not even necessary to mention how amazing it is to feel such connection to a song, imagine multiple songs!!! Thank you for existing!!! @tøp!!!



Okay, time to calm down and do some explaining.

I've been in this situation where I recommend them to someone and they are like 'ish...I guess they're not bad' and all I can think is '?!?!?!?!??!?' because I get it, not everybody has to like them, duhhh. But if you pay attention to at least one of their lyrics, you can't say they are "not bad". You can't. Sorry.
They've got pretty accurate representation of mental illness such as depression and I honestly think that fact alone deserves better than "not bad". 

Before you tell me, yes, I know there are tons of artists that write songs about depression but read again, there's an important word up there: representation

I personally think that it is so difficult to get right the feeling people get when they suffer from depression. Because depression is not "being sad", it is not "having a bad day" and it is definitely not "wanting to stay in bed all day" once. But that's a discussion for another day.

Their songs sing about dealing with how someone (themselves) wants to die and they feel like they can't handle the world anymore, but you can't get that message if you don't pay attention, and that's exactly how depression works.

Most people suffering from that mental illness hide all those negative thoughts and at the same time, they show them. It's a paradox and it's complex and they just want someone to figure them out. You can't see that someone is depressed with one look, you can't see the actual message of their songs with one listen.

I also love how you've got a perfect representation of not only depression, but anxiety too and they sing about those demons inside our heads that want to overcome us and speak louder than us every time we open our eyes. And they nail it.

And what's even better is how after all of that, you've got a precious and inspiring message: you can defeat those voices and win. It's a long journey and it takes a while but it is possible and living is so worth it. Their songs encourage young (and not so young) people to fight and be alive, and there's nothing more wonderful than that.


There's a lot more I'd like to say, but I'm gonna finish this entry with my top three from Vessel and my top three from Blurryface because why the hell not. Gonna try to explain my interpretations too.

VESSEL

  1. Car Radio
  2. Migraine
  3. Ode To Sleep



Car Radio is probably my favourte tøp song and I can't shake the feeling I get whenever I listen to it. I guess the reason why I adore it so much is because I can easily relate to it and it's one of those songs I mentioned before that feels like I could have written.

I think this song has three 'levels': 

The first one explains how we all have limited time on earth, which equates to finite time to achieve what we want in life and also to collect our ideas and make them real because the clock is ticking; the second one talks about how this person (Tyler) can't turn his brain off and is always thinking about everything and anything (kinda related to anxiety) and with no radio, with no music, there's not distraction to block out his thoughts; the last one, for me, it's about him saying that some of those thoughts are hopeful but there are also negative feelings that he's forced to deal with and the demons are there and won't leave him alone.

When you are alone in silence, let's say at 3am on a Sunday, your thoughts can consume you, especially if they are as dark as his.

I find over the course of our human existence, once thing consists of consistence and it's that we're all battling fear, oh dear, I don't know if we know why we're here. Oh my, too deep, please stop thinking, I liked it better when my car had sound.


Migraine is another song that deals with depression and mental illness.
It makes a reference to the brain right at the beggining - "Am I the only one I know? Waging my wars behind my face and above my throat" - and how the hardest battles are with the mind. 

I think the whole 'migraine' concept is not only an actual reference of how you get a headache when you suffer from migraine, but also a metonymy for the state of mind of a person with depression. It literally tells you "what the headache represents", a test in which we are completely defenceless and we struggle a lot to deal with it.

"Being tested by a ruthless examiner" is a line that speaks volumes to me because I feel like it's refering to our own mind, the one examiner that picks everything apart to point out every fucking mistake we make.

Last but not least, I gotta mention how the song ends because we hear the "we've made it this far" line over and over, which gives us hope, we've survived!! But then we hear "we've made it this f-" and the music cuts off abruptly. This is up to interpretation (duh) but I think it might represent that the person has given up on life and it describes depressions pretty accurately because it can tragically end a life even when things seem to be okay.

Sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind.

Ode To Sleep is one of my favourite tøp songs (lyrically speaking) and maybe one of the most difficult to interpret, or at least for me.

I guess it explains, once again, the struggle between the voices inside our head and how to overcome them. 

Everything starts well but as the song progresses it takes us to a self-destructive path and then again, we go into this journey where we transition into a more hopeful thought process. It's like literally everything is a mess, like life itself.

This whole rollercoaster is perfectly developed musically too, because the song is all over the map and it adds uniqueness and represents this struggle.

I also read how this song could be about a conversation between Tyler and God, the first one asking why he's being attacked by demons, if he's a threat to them because of his purpose as a mouthpiece of hope.

Who knows...all I know is that this is an incredible song.

I go up, up, up, up, up to the ceiling, then I feel my soul start leaving like an old man's hair receding.

BLURRYFACE

  1. Tear In My Heart
  2. Ride
  3. We Don't Belive What's On TV 

Tear In My Heart is one of those songs that no matter how many times I listen to it, it always make me get up and dance and scream and have fun.

This song is basically about love and the world knows I've never been in love but there's no better sensation than the one I get whenever I listen to this and I get that tingly feeling in my stomach. Because hey, who doesn't adore the relationship between Tyler and Jenna? Those two are freaking soulmates, let me tell ya.

Anyway, I guess it is about how Tyler let her see his emotional side and also his dark/anxious side and she helps him overcome his fears. This love makes him feel protected and secure enough and that's wonderful.

She's like the most powerful light in his life; can hurt him like no other, can make him feel more alive than he's ever felt before.

The songs on the radio are okay...BUT MY TASTE IN MUSIC IS YOUR FACE.

Ride is obviously about anxious thoughts and the eternal struggle but I'm not even going to write about it. I'm just going to quote the most important part ever written on a song (I might be exaggerating, shhhh). Kudos to my friend Judith because I know she loves this part.

I'd die for you, that's easy to say, we have a list of people what we would take a bullet for them, a bullet for you, a bullet for everybody in this room. But I don't seem to see many bullets coming through, see many bullets coming through. Metaphorically I'm the man, but literally I don't know what I'd do.
I'd live for you and that's hard to do, even harder to say when you know it's not true. Even harder to write when you know that tonight there are people back home which are talking to you but then you ignore them still, all these questions they're forming like who would you live for? Who would you die for? And would you ever kill?

We Don't Believe What's On TV...finally the last one! I know I'm being a pain in the ass, oops.

I chose this one right here simply because it's fun. You listen to the first note and you get a boost of energy. Thank you very much a lot.

I like how it says that TV is good at showing us what we want but also how we've learned "to kill our dreams" growing up in a world where our desires are sometimes crushed by reality. But the main message I get from this song is the lovely chorus where Tyler sings (again) to Jenna.

As I said before, I'm in love with their love.

I used to say 'I wanna die before I'm old' but because of you I might think twice.

And that's all for today, folks!
This is a long entry, got a little carried away, sorry not sorry.

I'd love to know your opinion on tøp and their songs, be sure to leave me a comment or a mention on twitter!

Have a nice week!!!

Follow

CONVERSATION

4 comentarios:

  1. Oh my God I really love your analysis of the songs you've captured my thoughts on them beautifully and you've described their music and style so well. Twenty One Pilots are becoming so popular it's crazy I never thought they'd be so big! I met Josh last year and none of my friends even knew who they were and now everyones crazy for them! All the songs you've picked from the albums are my favourites too and I also love Truce, you have great music taste! xx

    - Eternalleigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this comment!
      I'm glad you liked the entry and the songs I picked, you have great music taste too! hahah

      And yeah, I know!! They're becoming so popular, it's weird to see how everybody knows them now, right?
      It's so cool that you met Josh last year, I hope he was as nice as he seems to be!! x

      Delete

Back
to top