OCTOBER - WEEK 1


Ahoy, folks!

How's your Saturday going? I'm feeling great and I wanted to share with you guys a little thingy that I've been meaning to do for a while now.

You've probably heard about bullet journals, right? They're all over the internet at the moment and they seem to be helping people a lot with their every day tasks, so I figured I could give it a try. Turns out, I tried to understand the concept and I didn't get a thing.

I know, I know...it's simple, but I just don't see how it would be useful for me. I don't have tons of stuff to do every single day (my life is pretty boring), so I think I'd end up abandoning it? Which is definitely a waste of time and paper, and that's the reason why I decided to change the whole idea a little bit.

You guys already know this, but I love everything related to art and being creative, so I thought it'd be cool to keep some of my favourite quotes/characters/inspirations/paintings/a long etc somewhere. I keep most of my writings and a few of my most precious memories on journals, so I'm gonna do the same with that stuff I just mentioned.

Instead of dedicating two pages to the stuff I have to do in a week, I'm gonna dedicate one week to one thing I truly am passionate about or someone I really admire, or a book that made me feel some deep shit.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself correctly, but I'm going to share week one with you right now, so you'll see what I'm writing about.

P.S; I'm going to start posting these entries every Saturday. That means our typical Monday entry and the Journal stuff on Saturday.


WEEK ONE - PERSEPHONE


"What the myth founds is a double existence between the upper world and the underworld: a dimension of death is introduced into life, and a dimension of life is introduced into death." 
- Walter Burkert

I had tons of people, quotes, books and songs ready to go, but I reckon it's way better when you start something off with a topic (or whatever) you really like, right?! That's why I created my first pages about the Goddess Persephone.

Mythology is huge and I can't sum it all up in two pages, so I'll be choosing my favourite Gods and Goddesses for whichever week I feel like making something related to them. As I just said, this first week is about my all time favourite Goddess, Persephone.


Persephone, also called Kore/Cora or Proserpina in Latin, is the Queen of the Underworld, daughter of Zeus and Demeter.

Her myth is pretty interesting and it has so many different versions that you can believe whichever you like the most. My favourite one - and the main reason why I love her and her myth the most - is that while Hades did kidnap her, he didn't trick her to eat the seeds of a pomegranate (the fruit of the Underworld that made whoever ate seeds of it, miss life there), she did it willingly.

I like to think that she genuinely liked the Underworld and wanted to spend some time there. Not because she loved Hades or some romantic bullshit like that, just because she was as important on Earth as she was down there.

Anyway, the thing is that the moment she ate those seeds, she was binded to live in the Underworld for one third of the year. So, four months there and eight on earth.


Both periods corresponded with different seasons; the one in the Underworld coincided with Winter, while time on Earth coincided with the start of Spring. Lovely, innit? 

The myth says that Persephone was (still is) the reason why days are so dark and blue in Winter, why they are cold and short, why living things hide away. And also the reason why days are so much brighter and sunny and flowers blooming and animals dare to wake in Spring, all of it just to welcome her back.

I like how she basically controlled both worlds and for some reason I always found that fascinating. 
I guess it's because every time I had to learn a new myth for my classes, the man was the hero, the one in control; while the woman was "the wife of", "the love interest of", "the one that every God desired". And then you've got Persephone, an ancient badass.



Don't get me wrong, there are more badass Goddess (most of them are), but for some reason, Persephone was the one that caught my eye and also one that I kind of felt/feel representated by.

Why? Well mainly because she was seen as this delicate innocent girl who loved flowers, animals (deers were her favourite, and y'all know how I feel about deers...) and someone who represented dreams, magic...the innocence of childhood.

She was all of that, that's true, but she was so much more. She had her "dark" side too; the side that people seemed to ignore. Not a bad side, just a different one. That girl who loved flowers, also loved being in control and was not only "shy and innocent", but also strong and capable of making her own decisions without needing a man or anyone else.

I feel like all of that relates to me because I am indeed seen as the quiet girl who is nice to others, but I'm also the sassy powerful woman who is not afraid of shutting you out of her life if she feels like you don't deserve to be a part of it anymore. Add to that the fact that Persephone tried to please everybody and her energy was expended on achieving her own personal needs and goals, sisters borned in different worlds, I'm telling ya!














I've always loved the paradox of her existence; she's a goddess of life, but also of death. The Queen of both worlds.



I'm going to shut up now, I hope you guys like this idea and this kind of entry, because there's more to come!

Oh, the art that you see there - that illustration of Persephone - was done by Anoosha Syed, an amazing artist that I found while looking for some pictures. Give her some love!!

Read you on Monday!

Follow

CONVERSATION

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment

Back
to top