DECEMBER - WEEK TWO


Hello, friends!

I know it's not Saturday (hell, it's not even Monday...) but my aunt from Barcelona came for a visit and I didn't have the time nor energy to update the blog last week. I'm sorry.

But hey! Here I am again ready to introduce you to one of my favourite characters from a series of books I read a few months ago (The Raven Cycle): Adam Parrish.

Enjoy and please let me know if you've read these books!!


"Rags to riches isn't a story anyone wants to hear until after it's done."

- Adam Parrish, The Raven Boys

The Raven Cycle is a series of four fantasy novels written by Maggie Stiefvater and it follows the adventures of a group of kids from Henrietta.

The story begins with 'The Raven Boys', 'The Dream Thieves' is the name of book two, followed by 'Blue Lily, Lily Blue' and the end of the story being told in 'The Raven King'. This entry is spoiler-free, so all I'm going to say is that I really recommend these books. You're going to get invested and fall in love with all the characters, I actually have five more kids since I read them.


I'm 100% sure that I'm going to write about all the main characters because I want them all to be a part of my journal, but today I bring you my sweet child Adam Parrish.

Adam is...complicated. He's one of those characters that you can really relate to - all of them are, if I'm honest - and also one whose flaws we read since minute one. I like that a lot; I like characters (and people) who are real and sincere from the beginning, not those who seem nice enough and then stab you in the back.

As I said, I don't want any spoilers here today, but I can say this: are Adam's flaws his fault? That's up for debate. You'll know what I mean if you've read the books/when you read them and know his story. His fault or not, one of my favourite things about him is how he learns from his mistakes and grows as a person every single page. He develops a lot since book one and it's so wonderful to read it all and go along with him on that journey.


Adam lives under pretty harsh circumstances, but he's so incredibly smart and such a fighter. He's always showed an ability to achieve his goals, always going after what he wants and working for the life he thinks he deserves. He's kind and self-aware, a loyal friend always willing to help and be there for others.

He also hates the concept of imposing upon anybody, easily feeling like a burden when he's not. That's why sometimes he reacts to favours with annoyance, or has a hard time saying thank you; he doesn't want people to think he's weak or that he doesn't know how to take care of himself.


He's definitely a really complicated boy with some moral issues that you discover through the story, but at his core, I truly believe he's a motivated, wise and kind human being who is more than ready to leave his problems behind and also eager to understand what it is to love and be loved.

The fanart I used is by the lovely Maria, an artist from Russia. If you want to buy something, here's the link for it. Amazing art, huh?

I want to finish this entry with a quotes that stuck to me when I read the books:

"Where do you live?" - Adam's mouth was very set.
"A place made for leaving."
"That's not really an aswer."
"It's not really a place." 

Because Adam practised at many things, Adam was good at many things, but this - what was it even called? Scrying, sensing, magic, magic, magic . He was not only good at it, but he longed for it, wanted it, loved it in a way that nearly overwhelmed him with gratitude. He had not known that he could love, not really. Gansey and he had fought about it, once - Gansey had said, with disgust, "Stop saying privilege. Love isn't a privilege." - But Gansey had always had love, had always been capable of love. Now that Adam had discovered this feeling in himself, he was more certain than ever that he was right. Need was Adam's baseline, his resting pulse. Love was a privilege. Adam was privileged; he did not want to give it up. He wanted to remember again and again how it felt.

That's all!
I'll be back on Saturday with week three, I promise.

Have a nice week!!

Follow

CONVERSATION

2 comentarios:

  1. As if I weren't excited enough to read these books...Honestly I think I will love Adam and the rest so much because I've heard nothing but good things about them. I can't wait to know more about them!
    Wonderful post girl, I love all your journal posts (and the other posts too, your writing is great)
    Anna x
    dropsofanna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gahhh, so happy to read you!

      I'm sure you'll love them all, they're great characters and it's impossible not to love them since minute one. Adam is a really sweet kid, and it's nice how the reader gets to know him better through every book!

      Let me know when you read them!!
      Thank you, love.

      Carmen x

      Delete

Back
to top