ALONE OR LONELY




HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!

I know I should have posted something before, but I've been quite busy.

Since we just started a new year, I wanted to be a pain in the ass as always and make this first Monday entry of 2017 an entry where I reflect a little.

I've seen too many people commenting on how weird it is to spend New Years Eve at home, reading in bed or simply watching tv shows; saying that people who do that are "losers with no friends". Well, fuck that. The whole 'GO PARTY HARD ON NEW YEARS EVE OR YOU'RE LONELY' idea is a social construct. A ridiculous one, that is.

I've felt embarrassed every year I've stayed at home instead of going out, and why? Why did I feel that way? Again, the freaking social construct.

You want to go party? AWESOME. You want to stay at home with your family? AWESOME. You want to be alone drinking some tea? AWESOME. Whatever you do, if it makes you happy and comfortable, it's fucking awesome.

I do not celebrate Christmas and I don't care that much about New Years Eve, to be honest. As I said, I used to be embarrassed and feel like an idiot for not going out, but then I realised: do I actually want to go out? Not really, no.

Maybe if there weren't so many people at every damn bar, or if all the parties weren't so expensive, or if I was in another country that made me feel another way. Who knows. I'm not saying I'll never celebrate New Years going to a party, but I'm not weird or feeling lonely for choosing not to party the last day of the year.

Being alone and being lonely are completely different things. You can feel lonely even when you're with people every single second of the day, it has nothing to do with being alone.

I enjoy being alone.
I love spending time with friends and all of that, don't get me wrong, but being alone is what makes me happy and 100% comfortable a lot of the time. Nobody bothers me, I get to do whatever I want and talk to whoever I want to, I'm in control of the situation and there's nothing that can cause me anxiety or make me feel like shit - besides my mind, but that's for another time. You get what I mean.

Don't let anyone tell you what's right to do on New Years Eve - or any other day for that matter - nor make you feel bad for being alone and liking it. Are you hurting anyone? Nope. So...you do you, and you do it proudly.

Being alone and okay with it is one of the best forms of confidence.


Follow

CONVERSATION

16 comentarios:

  1. Hello Carmen. I have also spend New Years Eve in with my boyfriend and this is second year in a row. We tried going out the previous new years eve but it was a disaster, everyone drunk, no cabs it's just to much. As long as you enjoy your situation that should matter then most.

    http://mihabalan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      I think your plan is really lovely. As you said, going out that day is usually a disaster and stressful!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm glad you feel the same way!

      Delete
  3. Great post, I can definitely relate to this!! I much prefer staying in with my closest friends on New Years. Would love if you could check out my new post? XX

    The Fashion Road.com
    Instagram @louisefrancescaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have the best time at home with close friends.

      Going to visit your blog right now! x

      Delete
  4. Hi! Spending time at home with family and closest friends are definitely the best thing :)
    Anyway, this is an amazing post!

    xx Fatina | www.fatinamdzfr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way (as you read hahha)!

      Going out must be fun for some people too, but def not my case x

      Delete
  5. Hey Carmen, happy new year. Sorry it's late. I know how you feel in regards to Christmas and new year. I think it's all a lot of hype and to be honest I couldn't wait for 2017 to come around. I usually stay in New Years but went out this one just gone. I hope your years started off alright and look forward to reading some more of your posts xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Holly!

      Yeah I feel like there's too much hype but I also find it quice of nice. I hope you had an amazing time celebrating it and also had a great start of the year!! x

      Delete
  6. YAAAS!! 100% agree with whatever you said! I usually go our for NYE with my friends just because that's what everyone does but I'd love to spend a NYE at home with my friends, or watching the fireworks in London! I hate that today's society thinks that you're boring unless you go out and party! x


    Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had fun with your friends!!
      I hate that too, it's bloody ridiculous! x

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad someone said it! I have exactly the same sentiments. It freaking sucks how society gets to judge you. But thank goodness I'm past that age where I care too much of what 'society' thinks. as long as I'm happy I'll be doing whatever I want. And it's just another party anyway. Haha. I'm so glad I found your blog Carmen! :)

    Chrizzia xx Thistled Soul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!! I'm so glad we don't care about what society thinks anymore...as long as we're happy, that's all that matters :)

      Thank you for your comment! x

      Delete
  8. Really agree with you! New Year's Even is family holiday here and I don't care about partying anyway too!;) Do you want to be friends with me on bloglovin? If yes, just follow my blog there, I'll follow your blog back!!! https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/anna-alina-3947784

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anna!

      I just followed you on bloglovin :) x

      Delete

Back
to top